Sunday, January 5, 2014

New Year, New Recipe (Not Yo Mama's Tuna Casserole)

Thursday night I came home from work with no dinner plans, but knew I had everything to make a tuna casserole.  But then I realized that I was looking at a can of sweet peas in the midst of my ingredients when I had some broccoli and cauliflower resting (nay, languishing) in the crisper and decided to get creative.

Not Yo Mama's Tuna Casserole
3 cups egg noodles, cooked in salted water and drained
3 cups steamed broccoli and cauliflower florets (I steamed in the microwave while the noodles cooked)
1 can tuna, preferably packed in olive oil
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 c sour cream
1/4 c white wine
1 small can evaporated milk
1 tbsp dried minced onion
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1 cup shredded cheddar
crushed potato chips for topping

1. Combine noodles, veggies, and tuna in a large bowl.
2. Combine soup, sour cream, wine, milk, onion, salt, pepper, and celery salt and mix until creamy and blended.
3. Mix noodle mixture and cream mixture together until everything is coated.  Place in a greased baking dish and top with shredded cheeses and potato chips. Bake for 20-30 minutes, uncovered, until cheeses are melty and delicious.
Enjoy!


This is how little was left by the end of the pan.  And I ate that last bit, oh yes I did.  Should have saved it for leftovers but it was too good to resist.  The white wine really kicked up the cream mixture a notch, and I really loved that there were as many veggies as their were egg noodles.

The kids even ate theirs, which is always my barometer for how delicious a meal was.  Elora cleaned her plate, which is good because I don't know when she'll be eating again after losing both her front teeth in the last 7 days.


Ewwwww.  Still love her little face, just can't wait for the spaces to fill in with chompers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment