Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Breakfast is Dead (Homemade Instant Oatmeal)




I don't really believe that breakfast is dead, but when the weather gets warmer it becomes harder and harder for me to force some breakfast into me in the morning.  Yogurt is an iffy choice, I have to have something a little crunchy with my yogurt, otherwise the texture is a total turn off.  I'm partial to oatmeal, but having to remember to buy the boxes at the store regularly isn't my strong suit so I decided to find a recipe to make my own packets of instant oatmeal.  I found several on the interwebs, but kind of fudged my own and was happy with the results.

Homemade Instant Oatmeal



6 cups quick oats (3 cups pulsed in the food processor until broken down)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup dry milk powder
2-3 tsp ground cinnamon (I prefer a lot, but add/subtract to your taste)
1 tsp salt
optional: dried fruit (cranberries are great) or sliced nuts

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix to combine, put in 1/2 cup measurements into snack bags.  Mix with about 1/4 - 1/2 cup boiling water to serve.

I had my little kitchen testers try it out this morning, and they both heartily approved of the results!!!  Look at those faces, eating a healthy bowl of homemade oatmeal with no unknown fillers and the perfect amount of salt/sugar..... I have 18 bags to take to work, too, so I'm set for at least 3 weeks of breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment